Food supplement packaging design – pharmaceutical industry – DRENOX
Packaging design is always a very pleasant challenge because it gives you the chance to bring innovation, to change the way an entire industry relates to a type of product. This is how we like to look at every packaging design brief. This was also the client’s request, to start a creative process to create the perfect packaging (we immediately explain what perfect means) for some natural supplements, recommended to be consumed together, consecutively.
The perfect packaging had a number of attributes:
- to be different, to be visible
- to be modern, but to be deeply connected to the idea of natural, bio-eco
- to suggest the idea that the food supplement exists in 4 formulas that are consumed consecutively
- expresses the idea of drainage, detoxification, and elimination of toxic substances from the body.
For this food supplement packaging design, we created a series of proposals based on a few ideas:
- the packages will be numbered from 1 to 4 with large, visible numbers
- we use arrows pointing downward in order to suggest the idea of drainage
- we use strong colors or recycled cardboard to suggest the idea of modern and eco
- we use atypical, but visible fonts, to highlight the product on the shelf (also helped by color).
We got these ideas by doing research – going to pharmacies, observing the behavior on the shelf, talking to people, having workshops with the team that develops the product, analyzing the approaches of other supplement manufacturers.
We created a series of simulations, with several iterations that we tested in discussions with potential clients.
This exercise was one of discovery and validation.
There were a number of limitations – mandatory texts that had to be visible on the box, the dimensions of the box, limitations of processes and technologies applied to the box (for cost reasons) that did not allow us to use cutouts, more types of materials or additional folds.
The final product took over from the design ideas generated in this process, but has a different construction.